We live in dangerous times… We have fallen into the “great TP abyss.”
What historic name will ultimately be given to the the COVID19 Pandemic of 2020? I have witnessed and lived through some “dark” times, Vietnam, the hostage crisis, The Challenger, Katrina, 9/11. Frankly nothing is like this. It is cliche. Nothing is like this.
I do not think these are the end of times. Let me say again, this is most likely NOT the end of days. However, I am a Christian, and I care about those who surround me. You are going to hear preachers preach on the end times…Some just can’t help themselves from doing it. Some will spread fear instead of love and wisdom. Many have preached the same fear language every few years, with each Pandemic. They always do, when the world is introduced to Aids, Swine Flu, SARS, and the like. I am certain that The Spanish Flu of 1918 stimulated similar discussions and sermons 100 years ago. Or the Black Death in the 14th Century. But the Bible does speak of End Times. There are signs, there is a warning, there is a cautionary tale written in the Scriptures. And because of that, I had an expectation of this new COVID19 paradigm.
Please note… I did not prepare for it…
I am not a scientist, I am not a prophet, I am not a futurist. I AM NOT surprised by what I see around me. When I was in college in the early 70’s, I read two things that planted seeds for what I see today. One was a study called “Limits to Growth.” Published in 1972, there was an inevitable collision which would occur around the year 2020. This discussed a collision of 5 variables “population, food production, industrialization, pollution, and consumption of nonrenewable natural resources” which could cause the world as we know it to collapse. The other book I read, and continue to read, which prepared me for this day, is the Bible. The Bible is both narrative and prophetic.
COVID19, I have been expecting you. In less than 90 days, there is a genuine glimpse of “one world order,” a “cashless/check less society,” In the Book of Revelation chapter 6, the four horseman of the apocalypse are prophetically spoken of…Some will also know these words shared by Jesus… In Jesus’ parallel prophecy in Matthew 24, He explained that in the wake of religious deception, war and famine would come “pestilences” or disease epidemics (Matthew 24:7). But even after these events, the world will go on, people will adapt.
Maybe I should get a PURPLE hat… MOWGA. “Make our world great again.” Maybe I will do a Kickstarter event to start my new hat business. But I digress..
There are many who have so little understanding of Christianity. I am responsible in part, the Church is certainly responsible in part. I apologize for not being clear enough. For those of you who want to squeeze God into the Scientific Method of discovery…. I am sorry…This is a Faith, Hope, and Love event… there is NO laboratory test for God.
A relationship with God is an exercise in Faith… not Proof… I CAN’T prove the existence of God…. if I could, there would be no faith, only sight… only science… And therefore NO spiritual journey.
Laugh all you want at my folly… I will continue to pursue a relationship with God, I will continue to walk in Faith…this relationship is nearly 60 years in the making, I am certain that God is real.
Following are observations in the shadow of the Corona virus. My Toilet Paper Chronicles if you will. A compendium of signs the I have recently seen. And with the signs, Bible wisdom which causes me to remain sane and calm. They are in NO particular order of importance. And I am not making this a doctrinal statement. I am just sharing stuff I have seen and continue to see.
- This virus is the great equalizer. COVID19 does not care who you are. The virus will not discriminate. Actor Tom Hanks, Senator Rand Paul, NBA stars, homeless John Doe…. “Tag, you’re it.” Matt 5:45, “That you may be children of your Father who is in heaven. For he makes his sun to rise on the evil and the good, and sends rain on the just and the unjust.” People experience life. And life is what you will receive.
- It is hard to understand what is happening in the world, because no one has all of the answers. Until we get an answer, all we will have is information. The virus has its own language… it takes time to learn a new language. 1 Cor 12:8 (NIV) “To one there is given through the Spirit the message of wisdom, to another the message of knowledge by means of the same Spirit.” People hear different things from and about the same event. Different folks have different messages and differing interpretations for the same thing.
- Someone wants to blame someone. Who would you like to blame? Trump? The Chinese? The Liberals? Often people want to blame God. “In the beginning….” the first to blame God started in the beginning… Most have heard of the Adam and Eve story. Keep in mind “After the fall of man,” Adam blamed God for his problem.. God was “responsible.” It is written that Adam said, “It was the woman YOU (God) gave me who gave me the fruit, and I ate it.” Who would you like to hold responsible?
- Invisible is hard to see. And Invisible is hard to defeat. And invisible is what this virus is….. until it isn’t. Testing for the virus is encouraged if you have symptoms, BUT you might not show any symptoms in the early viral stages. Invisible is hard to live with. “For our struggle is not against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the powers of this dark world and against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly realms.” Eph. 6:12 The forces of evil can be difficult to see, and they can be powerfully deceptive. Invisible is hard to see.
- This is not forever. The only thing that is forever… is forever. The Virus is NOT forever. There will be a point of control or victory. 2 Cor 4:8-9 “We are afflicted in every way, but not crushed; perplexed, but not driven to despair; persecuted, but not forsaken; struck down, but not destroyed;” So I will mask up, on most occasions, and just move along.
- Distance, it is said, is good, but Covid19 knows no borders or boundaries. There is NO wall tall enough or long enough to fight THIS battle. Isaiah 30:13, “calamity will come upon you suddenly— like a bulging wall that bursts and falls. In an instant it will collapse and come crashing down.” So I live in a world of social distance.
- Flatten the Curve, Success means nothing happens.. I am surrounded by people who measure results, and show off their children’s participation awards. We are a people who require to see the fruit of the labor. Trophies and grades, paychecks and Toys. All require action and results I can see. To beat COVID19, I have to see nothing happen. But we live a life of competition. Even Christians!!!! 2 Timothy 4:6-8 …”For I am already being poured out like a drink offering, and the time of my departure is at hand. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on the crown of righteousness is laid up for me, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that day—and not only to me, but to all who crave His appearing.” The reward for victory against this virus is to see and receive nothing, NOTHING.
- “the virus is unforgiving” Dr. Emily Landon, an infectious diseases expert at University of Chicago. Unforgiving is a brutal way to live. Movies have been made about this. I grew up learning that forgiveness is critical for sanity. “Be kind and compassionate to one another, forgiving each other, just as in Christ God forgave you.” Eph. 4:32 You will not learn forgiveness from the virus.
- We won’t ALL die, but some of us will. Lives will certainly be lost during this viral infestation. If you don’t know the Byrds and their song “Turn, Turn, Turn.” you should YouTube it. It is actually a 1962, Pete Seeger song… I was entering high school when a Bible verse broke into the Top 40 music charts.. I loved this song… but I love the Bible verses more. Ecclesiastes 3…”1 There is a time for everything, and a season for every activity under the heavens: 2 a time to be born and a time to die, a time to plant and a time to uproot, 3 a time to kill and a time to heal, a time to tear down and a time to build, 4 a time to weep and a time to laugh, a time to mourn and a time to dance, 5 a time to scatter stones and a time to gather them, a time to embrace and a time to refrain from embracing, …”
- Everything can feel like a symptom.. It is hard to recognize if I am sick when I experience a different “symptom” every day. It is hard to live alone and not let my mind wander. But the fact is, neither do I let it wander, nor do I let it wonder. I just live like I live. Because in the real Bob Fulton spiritual picture, I believe in the sovereignty of God in my life. I believe God is the author and the finisher. I believe in His glory. Romans 8:28-29, “And we know that [a]God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. For those whom He foreknew, He also predestined to become conformed to the image of His Son, so that He would be the firstborn among many brethren;
And so that in my Corona-virus manifesto.
Let me know if I can help you to live life as you were appointed to live it.
I pray for you, peace. I pray for you comfort. I have found mine. May you discover yours.
2 thoughts on “Lessons from the Toilet Tissue aisle…”
Hi dear, Bob. As always I not only always enjoy your blogs but always learn from them as well. There is always something (or many things) that hit home, make me open my eyes or just reflect. So I thank you for sharing these and am praying you stay well through this also. Love you! Christy
Thank you we are safe at home